Sunday, September 26, 2010

My ESPN audition.

Every day I watch ESPN. Every day, I choke a little more on my bile.

Now I remember the old adage, "Either your part of the problem, or part of the solution." So I thought I'd publish some game notes that I took while watching the Saints during week 1 vs. the Vikings. Think of this as if you were watching the game with me on your couch...drinking your beer, eating all of your chips, and leaving your toilet seat up.


***Pregame***

*Normally I'd have more pregame notes, but I rushed home from my bike ride in the park. Hard to focus on the game when you're dodging piles of dog shit.

*I hate Bud Light. It's the stuff dry heaves are made of. But I'm going to quote their current ad slogan, "Here we go!"

*Excited to see the championship banner. Teared up some. I think I've figured it out. It's just that things usually suck in LA, even before the oil and the levees failing. The Saints let the folks be happy on Sundays. If they win, they get to be happier for a little longer than Sunday.

*What a beautiful National Anthem. Just wonderful.


***1st Quarter***

*1st offensive drive was flawless. Brees spread the ball around. O line gave him plenty of time. Receivers showed good hands.

*Defense rose to the challenge in the first drive. But I'm sure they knew Minnesota was just going to run the ball.

*Trying to get cute with the screen passes on the second drive.

*Adrien Peterson is slippery.

*Did Greg Williams dye his hair? Sheesh.

*Brees is so amazing. I want to adopt him. Recovered a botched snap, outran the blitz in the endzone and still got the ball to a receiver while making it look easy.

*Is it wrong that I expect the offense to score on every possession? Then I get mad when they stall out. Overall, the offense looks very good. Defense looks pretty good. Adrien Peterson is still a bit dangerous.


***2nd Quarter***

*I don't care about Brett's boo boo's from last year. Stop trying to make him more of a legend.

*Defense is swarming on the ball. The linebackers are still just a bit behind the receivers.

*If they keep running Peterson effectively, they might wear our defense out.

*Feels like the offense is throttling back. They're also starting to make sloppy mistakes. Even Brees is starting to make mistakes. Almost threw an interception.

*I know we score quickly, but I'd still like to see more time of possession.

*Nice interception by Vilma. Great hit on Favre. It was comical in slow motion.

*Need to create some scoring opportunities and take advantage of ones that are given to us.

*Shanle is too slow to be covering Shiancoe.


***Halftime***

*In the 2nd quarter, Brees was throwing too many passes off balance.

*We should be killing these guys. But it's just not happening.

*First time I've ever watched the NBC guys during halftime. They suck.

*Hey NBC, we don't care about the NFC and AFC East as much as you do.


***3rd Quarter***

*I love Courtney Roby...more on covering kicks than running them back. He lays his body on the line.

*It seems way too late to start trying to establish the run. EDIT: Maybe I spoke too soon. It's working a bit. With establishing the run in the second half, that'll be another weapon to wear Minnesota's defense down with. If this keeps up, the Vikings should be winded towards the end.

*Offense is starting to get its swagger back.

*Touchdown! Good looking drive.

*Much better tackling on Peterson.

*Almost got an interception! Favre got rushed and made a bad throw...just like he always does.

*Even when he does nothing, Reggie Bush is still exciting. I can see the amazing moves in him just dying to get out, but he hardly ever gets to show them in a productive fashion. He was so used to single-handedly dominating games in college. But now he's in the pros and he has to realize that no player gets to do that on a consistent basis.

*Saints did not follow up with any points on the ensuing drive. Need some consistency on offense.

*I think we're in Favre's head. Forcing more throws. But we need to extend the lead in case he gets his head out of his ass.

*ANOTHER missed opportunity. We need to hit the dagger and start pouring it on. Points! We need points!


***4th Quarter***

*Seriously, Tom Brady? Your hair cannot be serious. Your head is Photoshopped. Oh, and during the commercial, why offer the dude the remote control if you won't let him use it. Stupid turd commercial.

*Good stop by the defense early on. Good intensity.

*Al Michaels, nobody cares about which referee overruled which. The play was reviewed and called incomplete. Shutup already!

*Offense moved the ball effectively again, but did not capitalize. This can come back to haunt them in this game and, if not addressed, during the rest of the season.

*Garret Hartley, you owe us 6 points. This last miss was unacceptable.

*Defense is still coming through...but the offense needs to hold onto the ball so the defense can get a rest. If they get winded, the chances of them giving up a big play go up exponentially.

*I love the way Pierre Thomas runs. He has filled Deuce McAllister's shoes nicely.

*Good running down the stretch to kill the clock.

*Kneeling the ball at 1:32. That's the game.


***Post Game***

*Not a bad way to start the season. Not to be greedy, but the score should have been higher. A lot of missed opportunities and need consistency on offense during the long week before the next game.

*Defense hung in there despite being on the field so long.

*All in all, it's still a win. Kinks need to be worked on as the season progresses. It's a work in progress and everything will get put together game by game.

*Minnesota was pretty unimpressive throughout the game. Peterson ran hot and cold and he was the majority of the offensive attack. In the second quarter, the Viking's rush affected our passing attack. In the 3rd quarter, the Viking's defense made some very good tackles to kill momentum.

*1-0. But more work to be done.

I'll admit, these game notes were ugly. The beginning of the season jitters were very apparent. I'll do better next time, coach.

0 comments: