Bob Eubanks, Chuck Woolery, Wink Martindale, Richard Dawson, Gene Rayburn, Chuck Barris.
These were the guys I grew to love when I was growing up. It was guys like this that made game shows fun. I used to love to hear Bob Eubanks ask people about their "whoopi" practices, watch Chuck Woolery crawl all over the couch when he asked folks how the date went and telling us he'd see us in "two and two", and see Richard Dawson molest innocent women right in front of their husbands and families. Game shows were fun and somewhat innocent then, and the hosts were happy folks with big toothy grins and perfect hair.
But if you turn on the TV today, forget it. It's all gone. No more giant, colorful sets or studios full of happy audience members. Today its all about how dramatic we can get the mood or how far we can push the contestants. Between shows like 'Fear Factor', 'Dog Eat Dog', and 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?', it seems like its not fun to be on a game show anymore. And it's only getting worse...
Pretty soon instead of shows making you eat marsupial testicles (which are pretty good by the way) or having you climbing up tall buildings hanging on by a flimsy harness, the host will just walk up to you in your home, ask your name for the tv cameras, shoot you in the face with a pistol, and give your widow a wad of cash.
...and as much as I hate to say it, I'd watch that show.
-B
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Y2Cajun/010ElP.jpg
Thursday, June 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment